Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pig




















































May 17, 2005-Getting Home

(photos:Farwelling Friends)

My record is intact. Our hotel was built on the side of a hill. Reception was on the 9th floor. Our room was on the 6th. The dining room was on the 7th. I consistently chose the wrong direction on the stairs and pushed the wrong button when calling the elevator. Even when I thought about it I chose incorrectly. Fortunately I either had others with me to help me re-direct or I only went astray by one level.

I feel sad that so many pigs died in vain. We were at breakfast at 5:30AM and had bag breakfasts. They included ham and cheese sandwiches. We didn’t starve since the bags also contained hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, and apples. There was also the usual breakfast buffet available so we filched some stuff from that. Soon after we boarded the two-hour Croatia Airlines flight to Frankfurt we were served breakfast. It was ham slices. We tried to give it away but had no takers.

When we got to Frankfurt I was comforted to see that the Germans are becoming like the rest of the world. There was confusion as to what transport desk we needed and the rest rooms were filthy. There’s hope for them.

I fully expected the movie would be Ocean’s 13 or some such. I hoped that Hollywood didn’t make the Ocean’s 12 sequel to taunt us while we were gone. We lucked out. The three movies were Phantom of the Opera, National Treasure, and Neverland. We’d only seen the last one.

We landed at Dulles early and breezed through customs. We plan a light dinner of “American” food like Thai or something.

We drive back to Akron tomorrow. Hope you’ve enjoyed these. When we checked in with Wendy she thanked us for the history lesson.

Toby

No comments: