Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sicily- New York City start

March 18, 2014-On The Move

We are off to Sicily, Malta, & Calabria with our friend Judi Cope. I've known Judi since 6th grade & we were roommates in college. David met her then & our lives have crossed paths ever since.

I'll keep you apprised of our travels & hope you enjoy our take on the experience.  Most of you are used to my musings & know that I tend to let my mind roam as I try to convey the impressions of the trip. My writing is usually G-rated.

The trip started smoothly enough & I even got a pre-check clearance with TSA. It's my first time. David had been teasing me about getting the clearance on his boarding pass, but I guess they thought I had an honest enough face to leave my shoes on & my quart bag in the carry-on.

We flew Delta to JFK & planned to meet our friends, Nancy Arnold & Jerry Faria who live nearby. We have the PFLAG Gala to go to in Manhattan when we return & brought clothing for them to keep for us so we could avoid schlepping it around Italy.  As they say, "The best laid plans..." The bag with that & David's clothing got left in Cleveland. As best we can determine, the bag was flown to Detroit & was to be on the 5:00 flight from there to JFK. We couldn't even learn if it made that flight until a half hour after it arrived at JFK. Delta did give us "emergency" kits containing toothbrushes, paste, soap, floss, hairbrush, & an extra large t-shirt. Fortunately we had our meds & essentials in our carry-ons. In all our travels our luggage was only delayed once. I guess we were due.

There was a bright spot. We only had to drag one bag from the terminal where we landed (#2) to the airport train & then to the shuttle for our hotel. Terminal #2 is the only one without a bridge to said train. The man giving us directions decided to load our one bag onto his cart & walk us there.

We had a lovely Japanese dinner with Nancy & Jerry then came back to the hotel to wait for the bag. After several calls to the delivery service (there was car trouble) the bag arrived at 9 PM. Whew!

We'll turn in after our blood pressure settles down & rest up for our flight tomorrow. It doesn't leave until almost 6 PM. I'll next write from Italy.

Toby

No comments: