Saturday, November 19, 2022

Sailing, Sailing

Photos: Our boat, frescoes at St. Nick’s, ,houses overlooking Mediterranean,
October, 27, 2022- Fethiye Surprise. We have Wi-Fi at this marina. This is unreal. We drove several hours to our gullet, a converted fishing boat. It’s pristine and exotic. It’s squeezed in between other boats at the pier until we sail tomorrow. The Mediterranean beckons. So does the dinghy we’ll take to shore. Oh, the wobbles. Our room has everything we need organized in the efficient manner of sailing crafts. The boat is teak and mahogany heaven. Everything gleams and is, pardon me, ship shape. With Rudy’s prompting, they have figured out how to keep electricity on in the cabin sockets overnight so David can use his CPAP. Yay! We sleep. There are rules specific to this boat. We can’t wear shoes worn on land on the boat to protect the wood decks. We brought stylish hospital issue socks with grippers on the soles. We also can’t flush toilet paper. There’s a wastebasket for its disposal. If you clog your toilet, there is no other room where you can move. Let me backtrack. Our drive took us up and over more of the forested crags of the Taurus range along the sea. Rudy asked those who might experience motion sickness to move to the front seat. I hunkered down in pretzel form on my two seats with my legs across the aisle and my feet on another seat. My head was jammed into the side of the bus and the curtain was shading me as well as partially hanging over my face. My jacket was balled up under my hip to cushion it from the seatbelt buckle. Then I fell asleep. We stopped at a 6th century church dedicated to St. Nicholas and where he is said to have been buried. Born in Turkey, he was appropriated by Scandinavia and Coca Cola. There were many Russian tourists there. They’re the #1 tourists in Turkey. Brits are 2nd. I had an unusual form of gyro for lunch. It was deconstucted and in a tomato sauce. Meat, tzatziki, pita…all in sauce. I prefer what I’m used to, but am glad I experienced the Turkish version. Tomorrow we visit a ghost town then sail into the blue. Toby

No comments: