Monday, February 27, 2017

Down & Out

Horowitz Travel-Israel-Jerusalem- Erev Shabbat-January 27, 2017

How did we get so sick? Was it my taking a woman's picture with her phone then watching her take it back from me using the hand holding a snotty tissue? Was it the counter servers who don't glove & also handle cash? Or maybe the customers who sample foods without using toothpicks, utensils, gloves? Or perhaps the unwrapped challah? I'm sure we weren't the first to handle it. We handed it to the cashier. It was still not bagged when she put it on the conveyor belt. Maybe we're just wimps after living in a sanitized word.

David ran out in a two-hour window of clear skies to get the paper, Kleenex, cough drops, you know, essentials. It was early afternoon when he returned. I hadn't eaten breakfast, had taken the codeine, got into a steamy hot shower, got dizzy, got out, & fainted. Lovely day. I now have a cut next to the left eye which will probably bruise just as my right eye is clearing up. The only other time I fainted was in college when I'd taken a new-to-the-market cold medication on an empty stomach.

David made a whole can of tuna on challah then gave me a peanut butter sandwich. I felt better but have slept on and off all day.

It's going below freezing the next two nights. Our rental manager asked us to run water in one tap. There's no insulation in these buildings. It's raining like crazy now with high winds. Somehow, it's seeping through the mullions of our bathroom window. At least it's not in our bedroom.

We skipped services at Hebrew Union College & had a quiet Shabbat carry-out dinner tonight. We tried the other Shabbat food store & liked it a bit better than last week's. We bought carry-out quiche yesterday, & that will be lunch. We may not stick our noses out until dinner tomorrow. There's no place to go on Shabbat, anyhow. We really need down time.

Toby


No comments: