Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Rejoining the World

Horowitz Travel- Israel-Tel Aviv at last-January 29, 2017,

Good news. I didn't faint after my shower today. Bad news. I didn't take one. We didn't have hot water. The maintenance guy came while we were out. Hopefully, he's fixed it.

We just had to get to Tel Aviv today to bring Leah Sass the stuff her mother wanted us to deliver. We were on the way to the bus much earlier than we've been out before. It was so cold I could see my breath. I wore Under Armor top & bottom, layers on that, scarf, earmuffs. Had a half hour wait for the bus. At least there was sun to sit in while waiting.

Security going into the central bus station was "broken." Bags were piled up on the Xray conveyor belt & the belt wasn't working. Locals just grabbed their bags off the belt & walked on in. We followed suit. So much for security.

The place was hopping with military. Thursdays are when they go home for Shabbat, & Sunday is when they return to their units. The women soldiers might have been described as "attractive" with their ponytails swinging behind them. All were armed with Uzis. Some of the men were shorter than I by a lot. I'm sure any one of them could take me down. They all carried huge packs which they stowed in the luggage bay under the bus to Tel Aviv. The Uzis rode with them in the bus. There was a fracas near the driver. People were yelling & trying to board. We finally understood that the bus was full.

I think I scared several on that bus. I'd forgotten my water bottle. I got a coughing, gagging, eyes watering, gulping air fit that went on for quite a while. The man behind David wanted to know if I needed the Heimlich. Then he offered his water, which would have helped, but it was in his own personal bottle, so I wouldn't use it. Ultimately, the driver gave me his water in a commercial disposable bottle. David tried to pay him, but he declined.

We were turned down by two taxis at the bus station in Tel Aviv before one took us on. I think they didn't understand where we were going although we had a full address. Our driver spoke enough English to ask where we were from.


David: The United States
Driver: Where there?
David: Ohio
Driver: Near New York?
David: Near Cleveland. Cavaliers. LeBron James
Driver: Oh. You like basketball & David Blatt
Driver: You like Donald Trump?
David: Not Trump, but many Israelis like him.
Driver: Not all


Tel Aviv was 10 degrees warmer than Jerusalem. It's a very modern, artsy, progressive city. We had a delightful lunch with Leah & were impressed with her plans & ambition. I hope it warms up. Even though we spent yesterday indoors, I wore a hoodie with the hood up over my layered clothing. At one point David was wrapped in a quilt. Friends of ours emailed us that they were staying in an apartment here in February & had to move to a hotel.

We got a call from Shaul, someone we've known since seminary days. He & his wife, Tanya, have lived here 40+years. They've been trying to get together with us but have been sick. They went to their doctor with the same symptoms we had & were given the same treatment. A week later, they were sicker. They went back to the doc & convinced him to give them antibiotics. They've been taking them for almost a week & are marginally better. We decided neither couple would feel much improved before we left & finally made a date.

Oh, there's a government moratorium on municipal services including garbage pick-up.  Funding didn't come through from the national government. It looks like NYC when that happens & it's only day one. At least we were upright & could get out to see it.

Best burger yet was at Roza's for dinner. Thought it was a vegetarian place that served pizza. Nope. Upscale Italian serving meat.

Shopping revealed the same Imagine Vegetarian Chicken Broth I get at Mustard Seed at home as well as the Israeli version of bacon. Picture of latter being forwarded.

Toby

Israeli Bacon

Garbage Strike



No comments: