Sunday, March 12, 2017

From David

Hi all,

I thought, while it was a quiet Shabbat and before we begin walking (probably to the Old City) since buses don't run on Shabbat, I would jot down a few thoughts of my own.  Toby is doing a fantastic job of keeping you abreast of what is happening in our lives in Israel, so I will not try to duplicate her excellent accounts.

I have wanted to come here for a long time and since having the lung surgery in May, Toby has been a great support in making this happen.  Despite our illnesses here, she has kept moving and sharing every bit of this experience with me.

I wanted to walk to streets of Jerusalem, shop where Israelis shop, eat where Israelis eat, ride the buses as Israelis do, and see new things and that which has changed since our last visit more than 20 years ago.

With Toby, I have done all that.  We have prayed with Israelis at the prominent progressive synagogue, purchased a ravkav (a prepaid multi-line bus and light rail pass) to travel like natives, struggled with my poor spoken Hebrew, relaxed as many around us spoke English, and walked more than you might imagine.

In some ways, being in Jerusalem is like living in a wonderful Jewish camp. Rarely do we eat anywhere that is not kosher (though that's possible, especially in the Christian quarter of the Old City). By 4:00 PM erev Shabbat, pretty much other than the Old City and walking trails, all are shut down.  In the evening you pass people in the dark, wish them "Shabbat shalom," and hear the greeting returned in kind.  It is quiet on Shabbat, fewer cars and the sound of children playing and people talking as they walk along the streets.  Within an hour after sundown on Saturday night, all is bustling again as it was the day before with buses running and restaurants serving.  It is truly Shabbat here.

At my age, I may never return to Israel again.  This experience has, however, fulfilled what I needed.  To feel like I have lived in Israel, if not but a short time.  Shabbat shalom.

David

No comments: