Wednesday, March 1, 2017

No Rest

Horowitz Travel-Israel-Jerusalem-Israel Museum-January 30, 2017

I read in the paper that more people have a magnesium shortage than know it. It doesn't show up in blood tests, so it's diagnosed by symptoms. Leg cramps are a sign, & muscle twitching at night is another. I discussed this with my doctor & she suggested magnesium was the problem. I told her I'd increase my banana consumption. That helped. But the paper today said that spinach was the best source of natural magnesium. The next were chocolate & nuts. I'm going with chocolate. I bought a big dark chocolate candy bar. No guilt.

I forgot to tell you that we walked through the Tel Aviv shouk after lunch yesterday. It was more extensive than Machaneh Yehuda. It had foods as well as extensive supplies of things locals buy like clothing & household goods. We searched high and low for a hippo but struck out. When we returned to the Jerusalem bus station my eye was drawn to a kiosk with children's books. OMG! There was a primer on counting. "How many hippopotamus do you see? Four." I think Rylee will like the book & can read the Hebrew herself. She can even take it to school. So excited. If she wants to display it with her collection she can prop it open to the hippo page.

Today started with another trip to urgent care. This time it was for David. His eyes were oozing & gloppy, & I thought he might have conjunctivitis. We're washing towels & linens in case. While there he reported his other symptoms. They did take a medical history for him so did a cardiogram. All was fine. I've never seen a cardiogram set up like this one. It had a large halter with multiple leads extending from it. The halter wrapped around the entire chest but was held down by his arms. There were additional wrist & leg leads put on like bracelets. His heart is fine. This doctor prescribed eye drops saying they'd work if it was bacterial & wouldn't if it was viral. She also gave him a decongestant. I tried to convince her to give him an antibiotic based on my experience. She thought the Tylenol with codeine I was prescribed wasn't good for the "elderly" & probably caused me to faint. Meanwhile, that plus the Zpak has resulted in my symptoms improving.  They did a chest X-ray on David & that was ok too. She said we should go home & rest. "We're not 20 anymore."

To give you a better idea of why I didn't want to go there when I cut my head I've attached a picture of just one wall in the facility. There is always cleaning of glass & mopping going on. It's futile given the condition. There's no way to clean "falling apart."

The cab we called to take us there had a personable driver who said we could call him when we were finished at the clinic. We did, & he took us to the Israel Museum. Rest? We're tourists. His English was good enough to have a semi-political discussion. He thinks Trump is crazy. Basketball he didn't know about. We told him about Uber & how they tried to break the taxi strike at JFK. He has a friend who drives for Uber elsewhere & will tell him about that. I suggested his friend should drive for Lyft. Bottom line, the driver fears war either worldwide or regional. I told him we feared civil war in the U.S.

As we approached the museum, which is across from the Knessset, there were blocked streets. He said they were "cleaning" the streets for Netanyahu. I told them that the streets didn't look dirty. After translating in my head, I think he meant "clearing." 

We grabbed lunch at the museum before getting a free audio guide. The audio was very general. We agreed that the Bible Land Museum gave a superior & in depth narrative. The Israeli Museum is a sprawling campus of buildings linked by underground walkways, hallways, & steps. There's a lot of vast empty space &, even with a map, we never wrapped our heads around a pattern. Meanwhile, their collections are glorious. I've never seen as many artifacts displayed with such a completeness in reconstruction. Even the pre-Colombian collection was like nothing we'd seen in Mexico or S. America.

The Shrine of the Book is part of the museum & is where the Dead Sea Scrolls are housed & portions displayed. We've seen it before, but it's still a thrill to realize the age of the document & how identical it is to what we read from our Bible today. There's also a collection of remnants of the 10th century Aleppo Codex, written in Tiberias.

I noticed some women I thought were Amish & wondered about them. We're used to seeing them in our area, but here? Whoops! Orthodox Jewish. A kerchief is a kerchief. However, there seems to be an increased presence of police at the museum & our neighborhood. Odd seeing Uzis that look as if they're hanging from soldier's tzitzit (fringes on prayer shawls).

We're in for the night.

Toby


Black Mold at Clinic?

No comments: